Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sleepy Hollow

Today was the Ichebod's Revenge 10 K classic ski race up at Sleepy Hollow. It was my first trip up to Sleepy Hollow, but it will not be my last. Despite the nasty rain we had this week, which transformed Morse to boilerplate, Sleepy Hollow was skiing pretty nicely.

The race course was pretty a-typical: three laps on a 3.5 Km loop that was essentially one half down and one half up. The up was very skiable, and the downhill, although starting out as a screamer, provided decent rest. Unfortunately, I was feeling pretty flat to start the day. I'm pretty confident that it was due to lack of sleep and a fairly hard workout yesterday rather than lack of fitness, but the effect was the same: I just didn't have it today. The race was pretty sparse, so even with feeling flat, I ended up fourth for the day, second in the 30-39 group. The guys that were in front of me put a pretty decent gap on me by the end of the first lap, and after that, I don't know that there was a lot of change in position.

All in all, it was a good workout and another start. One of my goals this year was to simply race more. So to that end, I am pleased that I did the race. I also ended up bringing home some LF wax for my second place finish. $20 entry fee for a nice, low-key race and a $24 dollar prize. Not bad.

No comments: