Friday, March 27, 2009

I can't lift my arms...

Tomorrow is not going to be pleasant.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been in rest mode; trying to catch up on work, hopefully getting out for some backcountry skiing and starting my lifting program. Each of the past two years, I have split the Vermont City Marathon with my brother. It's a great race, but, to race well, you pretty much have to completely switch gears from skiing to running immediately after completing the competitive ski season. Last season, that meant stopping skiing while there was still quite a bit of snow (folks were skiing well into April last year). This year, I thought I would try to extend the season as much as I could, but unfortunately, the ski season cut short by an onslaught of warm weather and some rain. Things rarely go as planned.

The other change to my plan for this year from last year is to hit the weights. When I was in high school and college, I had the uncanny ability of putting on muscle without much time in the weight room. Double poling was my strong suit. Last summer, I decided that my strength program would be limited to bodyweight resistance only. Looking back on my season, and at the advanced age of 33, I think weights will be in my training program for the offseason.

Rather than shell out $70+ a month for a gym membership, I found a weight bench and free weights on Craig's list for $150. Pretty sweet deal. However, like a typical jackass, despite not having lifted for at least 4 or 5 years, I didn't exactly go into the weights easy. I tried to warm up a bit by splitting some wood for a while, but it wasn't enough after only 10 minutes. I did a pretty basic routine: bench, triceps, curls, bent over rows... But, after only 2 hours after I stopped, I can really feel it in my ligaments. I would be willing to bet that by tomorrow, I'll have a hard time shampooing my hair.

No comments: