Tuesday, January 27, 2009

OD on LSD

For those not tuned in to distance-type sports, the title of this post may take some explaining. OD is "Over Distance" which is synonymous with LSD or "long, slow distance". This is a type of work out where you go for a very long time at a very slow pace (keeping your heart rate in level I, for me this is 115 to 140). The point is to train your body to process fat to glycogen and working past the dreaded "bonk". These skis can be very, very boring as you really try very hard not to ski hard enough to raise your heart rate (and lactic acid levels) to the point where you get fatigued.

On Sunday, with thanks to my wonderful wife, I was able to get out for a 3.5 hours classic ski at Morse Farm. The other thing about these skis can be very, very boring as you really try very hard not to ski hard enough to raise your heart rate (and lactic acid levels) to the point where you get fatigued, so it helps to have a place with many, many kilometers of trails. As great as 'da Farm is, it is not blessed with many, km's of trails (total is ~24 k). This means that OD skis here can seem like a hampster in a wheel. The ski went decently. It was very cold to start the ski (o degrees), but I had lots of clothing and some new skis to try out. I only had to rewax once, and that was due more to warming temps than wax wearing off. I hooked up by serendipity with John McGill, a local bike racer turned Dad and XC skier. It helped spin the K's and the time having him around so that was great.

Unfortunately, the last 30 minutes of the day were total bonk ville. I must not have had enough to eat nor gone slow enough; it was everything I could do to get back to the car. The only thing that kept me going was thoughts of having lots of food when I got home.

This week should be pretty mellow with a taper for Cratsbury. A big storm is forecasted for tomorrow (Wednesday), so I doubt that the Wednesday night sprints will happen. A little fresh snow would be welcome, but I really want to use my new klister skis for the marathon. With my luck, I'll be on my Atomics from circa 1991.

No comments: