Monday, January 19, 2009

Time Trial #1 15K? classic

Yesterday 6 of our local Master Blasters convened at Morse Farm to compete in club time trial. The course was either a very slow 15 k or way more than that. None of us are exactly world caliber, but the fastest time for the course by a classic skier was 1:08:56 seconds by Nick Petterssen. As any racers can attest, that is damn slow for a 15K. The course turned out to be really nice with some good, kickable climbs, lots of transitions and double poling. Conditions were soft, having just received about 3 to 5 inches of snow in the morning. For me, the race was just about getting out and hammering. My start was strong, maybe too much so, as I was pretty tight going into the 2nd of 4 laps. I had very good kick and decent glide, so I don't really know why I wasn't psyched with the results. There were times on the course when I felt like an egg beater, but other times, I felt super solid. I'm not sure where this leaves me; at this point in the season with Craftsbury just two weeks away, I was hoping for a rocking race. Unfortunately those usually don't just happen, so I guess its time to amp up the intervals for this week before beginning tapering on Monday.

Times for the race:
Nick P: 1:08:56
Brent E: 1:10:11
Dan V: 1:11:42
Joel P: DNF

Two guys came out for the race and skated (Jamie Biggham and Andrew Trip), but I missed their times. Jamie is skiing super fast, I would not be surprised if he broke 1 hour.

Next up, Wednesday Night Sprints at U32! Under the lights. My skate boots are currently heading back to Fischer for a warranty issue, but hopefully I'll scare some up for this event. Should be fun.

In other news, local hot shot skier Liz Stephen rocked at the World Cup race in Whistler. She placed 24th in the pursuit and teamed up with Kikkan Randall for a 4th place team sprint result. Considering this is her second World Cup event, it's awesome. Congrats to Liz.

No comments: